Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

full cream milk Lock Rss

hi..just wanted some advice...my son is 1 in 18days..we just used the last bottle of formula from a tin..should i buy another tin to get him closer to the 12month age where they go onto fullcream milk...or should i just give it to him from now on?...

starry,dd(tarni)2 years

y lil girl had full cream milk from 11 months and she is fine...its personal choice really
It is personal choice of course, but I always thought it best to introduce cows milk gradually so if you go straight to cows milk either give him less each day or when I started I just watered it down for the first week or so, to get their little tummies used to it.
With my DS1 I changed From formula to cows milk gradually starting at 11 1/2months, but with DS2 I started giving him cows milk in a sippy cup from just before 11 months. He was/is still breastfeeding aswell though
knockonwood wrote:
It is personal choice of course, but I always thought it best to introduce cows milk gradually so if you go straight to cows milk either give him less each day or when I started I just watered it down for the first week or so, to get their little tummies used to it.

they really only say to wean the onto it to make the transition easier on their taste buds. i did wean my lil girl over a month each week i gave her less and less formula
Hi, I introduced cows milk to my baby at 11 months as like you I had finished a formula and was advised to go straight onto cows milk, he was fine with it and has had no issues going to cows milk. After about a month later and several doses of head colds and being sick I thought that maybe I should of kept him on formula as there is so much good stuff for them (probiotics, Iron, Zinc etc) especially mixing with lots of kids at daycare, that cows milk does not offer. He eats very well but I just didn't think it was enough. I tried to get him back to taking a bottle of formula but of course after tasting cows milk he didn't want formula. Bailey is 14 months and he gets cows milk in his bottle then for breakfast I make him wheatbix with a bottle of formula in it, he loves it and I get his formula into him. I know formula is more expensive than cows milk but I think it is important that he gets everything his little growing body needs. Good luck.
I would start giving him a bit of watered down milk over the period smile
However it really is up to you as he can have forumla after he is one so it isn't like it will go to waste.

ME - 23
DH - 25

Miss Willow

Keeping fit and healthy in pregnancy!!

After 12 months a baby’s gut is mature enough to progress onto cow’s milk or an alternative such as rice milk, oat milk, soy milk, goat milk or toddler milk.The choice of which one to use is yours. Babies require full fat milk until at least 2 years old.

Watering down cows milk would decrease the nutritional aspect

I would go Full Cream!
Think back to when we were all babies our parents didn't even have formula and milk was it, I'm sure your bub will be fine.
I have been breastfeeding and sometimes giving formula to my 1 year old. I think it is personal choice. When I do introduce milk I will be using a2 milk. I didn't realise how many additives milk has in it. Once I took my four year old off normal cows milk her temperament changed for the better!
thanks for the replies everyone,we bought one last tin of formula which he finished and is now only having full cream milk..he has adjusted to that without a hitch really...his diet is good,he eats everything we eat,and still some baby type foods..he is only tiny though..but im small so not too worried about his weight..think he will be little like me lol...he plays happily and is reaching all milestones like normal.

starry,dd(tarni)2 years

i had this happen to me, so even though it was a bit of a waste i bought the tin and slowly weaned him onto normal milk.. good luck smile
Sign in to follow this topic